Candy for what ails you? Forget the sweet stuff! Licorice root is known to be helpful for treating an impressively long list of health problems, including as an effective chronic diarrhea treatment.
Licorice root, also known as Glycyrrhiza Glabra, grows wild across Europe. It is an herbal remedy that has been used for thousands of years by the ancient Greeks and Romans to treat many health issues. Licorice has played a large role in Chinese medicine for many years.
Good For What Ails You
Western medicine is finally catching up and realizing just how beneficial licorice root can be for a very long list of health conditions including:
- Upper GI health- it has been shown to ease coughs and the symptoms of cold and flu
- Ulcers – packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, it has been shown to be almost as effective as conventional medicine for reducing pain due to ulcers
- Chronic Diarrhea Treatment – licorice roots blend of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties make it an effective treatment for this disorder
There are two kinds of licorice root:
- Glycyrrhiza, which has been shown to have some serious side effects like low blood pressure, headaches and heart problems.
- Deglycyrrhizinated (DGL) seems to have less serious side effects but is just as effective in treating a long list of health ailments.
The Right Stuff
The key therapeutic compound in licorice root is called glycyrrhizin. It has been shown in numerous animal and human research studies to have the ability to soothe and coat inflamed membranes. That kind of anti-inflammatory ability is what makes licorice root a good treatment for the symptoms of chronic diarrhea.
Having occasional loose bowel movements can be normal, and it usually clears up on its own or with the help of over the counter medications. However, chronic diarrhea is defined as having loose stools for four or more weeks, three or more times per day. It can have a very harmful impact on one’s health. The loss of fluids, nutrients and electrolytes for a prolong period of time can lead to poor health and a compromised immune system.
Taking licorice root can help ease the symptoms and provide pain relief. The compounds in the root inhibit spasms in the colon and sooth irritated membranes. It also enhances immunity by boosting production of interferon, a key immune system chemical that helps your body fight off attacking viruses.
Licorice root also has compounds called flavonoids that are powerful anti-oxidants. They help the body neutralize cell damaging free radicals that could be contributing to chronic diarrhea, severe coughing and other upper GI tract problems, and ulcers.
Forms, Dosage, and Side Effects
You will find licorice root in several different forms:
- Thinly cut slices
- In teas
- Capsules and tablets
- As an extract
For chronic diarrhea, ulcers and upper GI health, the recommended dosage for adults is two to four 380 mg tablets of DGL (see above) before meals and at bedtime.
If you or someone you know is seeking a natural treatment for ulcers, upper GI problems or an effective chronic diarrhea treatment, licorice root could be a good choice.