There are so many great things about this recipe, it’s hard to know where to begin!
The basics are lean, high-protein chicken breast and one of our favorite nutritional superfoods, spinach. The fats, which you can adjust to your taste and dietary preference, consist of just enough oil to sauté the chicken and a little mayo or yogurt for the dressing. Strawberries bring additional antioxidant-rich nutrients, as well as color and flavor. Toss in some almonds for essential vitamins, minerals, fiber and heart-healthy phytochemicals. And, the lime juice, garlic, ginger and black pepper not only contribute unbeatable flavors to this wonderful salad, they provide an extra antioxidant boost as well!
This is a tasty summertime treat your whole family will love. And not even the kids will suspect your real motive for serving this is to offer them a healthy alternative to fat and sugar laden, overprocessed meals.
- 2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half - cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or yogurt)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach, stems removed
- 4 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in skillet, season with garlic powder and cook 10 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, lime juice, ginger and milk.
3. Arrange spinach on serving dishes. Top with chicken and strawberries, sprinkle with almonds and drizzle with dressing. Season with pepper to serve.
Yield: 2 servings
Nutritional Information (amount per serving):
Total Fat: 17.3g
Total Carbs: 7.5g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4g
Protein: 15.8 grams