Taking all natural supplements that help improve your eyesight may help fight cataracts, macular degeneration and glaucoma.
Americans are living longer than ever before and as we grow older, age-related health issues occur throughout the body, including the eyes. The older we become, the more prone we are to cataracts, macular degeneration and glaucoma. More than 10 million Americans are affected by macular degeneration every year and it is the leading cause of blindness in people over the age of 55.
Because traditional medicine is not always effective at improving your eyesight, many people are turning to all natural supplements to deal with the devastating effects of macular degeneration.
Good nutrition, plenty of exercise, protecting the eyes from the sun and refraining from smoking play essential roles in protecting your eyesight. However, nutritional supplements may also be helpful according to a recent report from the Age Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS). In this study people who received antioxidant supplements had a 25 percent reduction in the development of macular degeneration.
Adult Macular Degeneration (AMD) is a progressive deterioration of the macula, the central portion of the retina. The condition is not painful, but it causes the cells in the macula to die. Because the macula is responsible for high resolution visual acuity in the central field of vision, people with AMD often cannot make out the face of a person, but may be able to see objects in the background.
Because there are so many natural supplements for eye health on the market, it can be difficult to decide which one is right for you. Make sure the supplement that you choose contains (at a minimum) the following ingredients:
- Lutein – increases macular pigment levels, protects against oxidative damage
- Vitamin E – a major free radical neutralizer
- Vitamin C – helps build collagen fibers
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – a powerful antioxidant, plus it increases the potency of vitamins E and C
- Zinc Oxide - provide excellent protection against UVA, UVB and UVC rays
- Selenium Yeast – an essential micronutrient and excellent free radical neutralizer
- Beta-Carotene – a carotenoid/antioxidant, for overall eye health and night vision oxygen to the cells of the eyes
- Astaxanthin – an oxygenated carotenoid, a powerful antioxidant, enhances vitamins E and C