The key to healthy aging is healthy eating. With that in mind, here’s a healthy recipe you can add to your arsenal.
Garlic, onions and cruciferous vegetables: What do they all have in common? They are all excellent foods for your liver. The sulfur in these foods detoxifies many of the chemicals the liver must deal with on a daily basis. They are also loaded with antioxidants!
Here is a delicious soup recipe that contains garlic, onions and the most-loved of all cruciferous vegetables, broccoli!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 20 ozs broccoli (chopped frozen, thawed)
- 1 potato (peeled and chopped)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 tsp ground nutmeg
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, and saute onion and garlic until tender. Mix in broccoli, potato, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
2. With a hand mixer or in a blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Return to the saucepan, and reheat. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.