½ cup of granulated sugar
¼ cup of dark brown sugar, loosely packed
¼ cup of maple syrup
¾ cup of water
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1 lb cranberries, either fresh or frozen
4 naval oranges, peeled and divided into segments
½ cup of walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Bring the sugars, maple syrup, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and continue to simmer, uncovered, until half the berries pop.
- Remove from heat, then stir in the orange segments.
- Allow to cool, then stir in walnut pieces.