On the very popular late night television show, Saturday Night Live, the character Stuart Smiley would look into a mirror and say aloud phrases like: “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.” While it may have been a funny skit, research shows that positive affirmations can help boost a person’s self-esteem. If you want to learn how to build self-esteem try saying these things to yourself at least once a day and believing them.
1. I honor and love myself.
You can’t expect others to care for you and treat you with respect if you don’t do the same for yourself.
2. I am enough.
Self-acceptance is critical to having a healthy level of self-esteem. Comparing yourself to others and believing you are not as good can only lead to despair. Everyone is different. Seek out your positive qualities and don’t waste time worrying about the accomplishments of others.
3. I treat myself with kindness, gentleness and nurturing in every way.
We are always our biggest critics. Constantly berating yourself or neglecting your own well-being is no way to live. Practice self-forgiveness when it comes to your mistakes; and put your happiness and health at the top of your priority list.
4. I am worthy.
Ask yourself, why not me? Everyone deserves love, respect, success and happiness. You have to work at it, but thinking you are undeserving because you are overweight, or don’t deserve a promotion because you didn’t go to an ivy league college is not logical. Dismiss those thoughts as they appear.
5. The Divine Light of Spirit protects and nurtures me in everyway.
Regardless of your religious or spiritual beliefs, to focus a positive affirmation on a higher power can afford a tremendous sense of relief.
6. Every day, I fill myself with feelings of love for my family, friends, and other people and creatures on Earth.
Life is a gift and we should not waste time on hate or self-loathing, but instead be grateful for our loved ones, and to live on such a beautiful and amazing place as Earth.
7. Kindness and compassion softens and illuminates my heart, casting a warm glow on the world around me.
Envision peace and calmness as you affirm this statement.
8. I recognize the light of Spirit in myself, and others I encounter on my life journey.
Love and divinity is everywhere and in everything, all you have to do is recognize it and be grateful for the journey of life.
9. I rely on my inner reserves of courage and self-confidence to make the right choices and decisions.
Many follow the belief that the universes, God, a Divine Spirit, or Angels truly do help those who strive to help themselves. Help yourself by turning to the higher power that you believe in to assist you make positive choices, especially in difficult times.
10. My heart is filled with appreciation and gratitude for all of the blessings that have been bestowed upon me.
Looking for what is good and right in your life is how you build self-esteem, not by always looking for fault in yourself and others.
The key to strong sense of self-worth lies within the self. Vow to make positive choices each day, and work toward surrounding yourself with loving and positive affirmations to help you along the road toward increased self-esteem and vibrant health.