If you understand the dangers of the sun’s carcinogenic UV rays, yet still desire a glowing healthy sun tan, self-tanning products are the best solution to the problem. These bronzing products are affordable and the effect can last for several weeks, when properly applied. However, you need to know how to apply a self-tanner, as it can look terrible if not applied with care, creating a streaky effect on the skin and extra-brown elbows and knees.
Self-tanning products come in various forms including gels, self-tanning lotions, wipes and sprays. Once you have found a quality product, follow these six tips on how to apply self-tanner to achieve a natural professional effect.
- You need to start with smooth skin that will not flake or peel. Perform a body exfoliation or body peel every four weeks to maintain the smoothest possible skin. It’s an easy process and your body will feel good when done. If you plan to apply a self-tanner, makes sure you exfoliate before you apply the bronzing product. Remember to apply to shaved legs.
- Shower and dry the skin well before starting to follow the instructions on how to apply a self-tanner. It goes on like a body lotion, but make sure you spend time applying it evenly and rubbing it in until it has been absorbed.
Related: How to Get Healthy Skin
- When you get to areas such as elbow, knees, ankles and feet, you need to use less product. The skin in these areas is often more tough. If you apply too much product, these areas can end up looking darker than the smooth surrounding skin. Wash your hands with soap and water right away; then with a damp towel, lightly blot your skin all over, and then with more pressure, blot the areas such as elbows, knees, ankles and feet.
- Places to avoid applying self-tanning lotion are the hairline, eyebrows, fingernails and toe nails. Apply sparingly around those areas for a salon finish to your super self-tan.
- As soon as you have put the cap back on the bottle of self-tanner, wash your hands. Nothing looks more amateur than having brown palms for the next couple of weeks. It’s an instant giveaway that your sun tan is not natural!
- Finally, be patient. Wait until the self-tanner has been completely absorbed before getting dressed or climbing between the sheets. You want to have nice, tan skin, not brown sheets and clothes!
By following our insider beauty tips for how to apply self-tanner, you too can have a healthy sun tan all year round, and only you know it’s not real.