Did you know pomegranate juice has many beneficial effects for your health?
For instance, a recent study by University of California Riverside researchers has shown that pomegranate juice can prevent the migration of breast cancer cells in laboratory cell culture conditions.
Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death and morbidity among women in the western world, accounting for 22.9% of all cancers in women worldwide. Occasionally, breast cancer cells can metastasize to other organs including bone, liver, lung and brain. Metastatic breast cancer has a very poor prognosis - typically, a patient’s chances of surviving for 10 years is only 5% without treatment and 10% with optimal treatment.
Pomegranate juice and three of its specific components have previously been shown to block prostate cancer metastasis. Knowing this, the researchers at University of California Riverside tested their actions on two breast cancer cell lines.
Intriguingly, they found that not only did pomegranate juice prevent growth of breast tumor cells - the juice and its components luteolin, ellagic acid and punicic acid also slowed down the rate at which they migrated to other areas by acting at the genetic level.
The study also showed that pomegranate juice and its components decreased levels of pro-inflammatory chemicals - thereby potentially decreasing inflammation and its impact on cancer progression.
This discovery suggests that pomegranate juice and its components are potentially effective and nontoxic alternative therapies that can be used with conventional treatments to prevent both breast cancer progression and metastasis.
Along with its actions against many types of cancers, consumption of pomegranate juice also provides many other health benefits, including:
- Preventing harmful free radical damage because its chockfull of antioxidants, including the immune-boosting vitamin C. Pomegranates rate high on the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s ORAC scale (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity), a measure of how well destructive free radicals are absorbed and neutralized.
- Protecting against kidney and liver damage, including against harmful toxins.
- Reducing allergies by slowing down biochemical processes linked to allergy formation.
- Boosting heart health by improving the body’s ability to synthesize cholesterol and destroying free radicals in the vascular system.
- Acting against both main types of skin cancer, basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma.
Maybe it’s time you considered upping your consumption of pomegranate juice?