Health solutions like superfoods provide multiple disease-fighting nutrients. These foods or health food supplements are calorie sparse and nutrient dense meaning they pack a lot of punch. They are a superior source of antioxidants and essential nutrients. Meaning that they are nutrients we need but cannot make ourselves. Providing the nutritional support to increase energy naturally, regulate your digestive system, lower high blood pressure, strengthen your immune system and provide joint pain relief.
Take a closer look at the handful of foods that have super properties and can contribute greatly to your overall health:
- Green Superfoods - Often when you hear or read the term “green superfood” what is being referenced are foods such as wheat grass. However, there are other foods that often fall into this category as well. Some of the other green superfoods are kale and spinach. One of the key attributes that the green superfoods have in common is that they are all rich in vitamins and minerals and may even aid with detoxification.
- Probiotics - Probiotics are live microorganisms that can be consumed to improve overall intestinal tract health. Some studies indicate that they may be very beneficial to overall health as they boost the immune system.
- Spirulina - Spirulina is a form of healthy blue-green algae that is used as a dietary supplement. It is very high in nutrition, protein, vitamins and minerals as well as essential fatty acids. When combined with the fact that spirulina is low in calories, it is easy to see why this supplement makes the superfoods list.
- Chlorophyll- Chlorophyll is another superfood that can be both high in nutrition and play a role in detoxification. Chlorophyll is a deep, rich pigment found in plants and algae. It is necessary for photosynthesis. Some studies claim that chlorophyll may even help with removing toxic compounds from the body.
- Enzymes - There is no doubt that enzymes are important. For example, they are critical in the process of breaking down the food we eat so that our bodies can absorb it. The amount of science surrounding enzymes and their importance is simply staggering. One of the key reasons that raw vegans are so enthusiastic about their diet is that in a raw diet all the enzymes are preserved. Enzymes are generally lost when food is cooked. However, it is possible to obtain enzymes in a pill form. There are dozens of widely used enzymes including bromelain, which is derived from pineapple and is believed to help fight inflammation. In general, enzymes can help with everything from inflammation to the digestion of food.
- Antioxidants - The odds are you have heard at least a little about the importance of antioxidants. Antioxidants, as the name indicates, helps repair the damage that occurs to the body as a result of oxidative damage. This damage can be thought of as a sort of rust in the body as it occurs from simply being alive, eating and breathing. However, the damage of oxidation can be combated via antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables, for example. Virtually all fruits and vegetables have antioxidants and some have a higher level of than others.
- Garlic- Garlic is seen by many as being nothing short of amazing and with good reason. Garlic functions as an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and even as an antioxidant. If you are feeling under the weather, this is a great food to reach for!