Acid reflux or heartburn is a common ailment that strikes nearly everybody at one time or another. There are plenty of drugstore products you can use to help ease the pain and discomfort of heartburn, but if you want more natural heartburn relief, look to the color orange.
What Is Heartburn? What Causes It?
Heartburn is known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or simply acid reflux. Symptoms included a painful burning sensation in your chest and a sour taste in your mouth. Stomach acids that have escaped into the esophagus are burning the lining.
Normally a muscle at the entrance to the esophagus opens when you swallow, but then tightens to close off the stomach from the esophagus. If for some reason it does not fully close, powerful digestive acids that break down your food into digestible nutrients can escape.
There are many potential causes of heartburn:
- A hiatal hernia, when the stomach pushes into the chest
- Eating large portions that strain the stomach’s capacity
- Wearing tight, restrictive clothing
- Lying down right after eating a large meal
- Tomato based sauces
- Fried and/or fatty foods
- Highly acid foods and juices like grapefruit, lemons, limes
- Carbonated drinks
- High blood pressure medications
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Progestin found in birth control pills
- Some medications prescribed to treat Parkinson’s disease
Orange You Glad You Read This
Some dietary changes may help to reduce the severity or avoid heartburn. Many of them are come graced with a lovely orange hue.
- Carrots – carrot juice contains alkaline compounds that can help the neutralize acid that causes heartburn. They have other health benefits like beta-carotene, which becomes vitamin A in the body and helps heal sores in the intestinal or esophageal lining
- Mangos – these exotic orange slices are loaded with powerful antioxidants like ascorbic acid (vitamin C), dehydro-absorbic acid and carotenoids. These compounds promote anti-inflammatory action in the body to sooth the inflammation associated with GERD or heartburn
- Apricots – these small little orange fruits are loaded with catechins, which are anti-inflammatories. They also have a lot of fiber and beta-carotene without being high in fat or calories
- Nectarines – similar to peaches, but with a smooth skin, nectarines are a sweet way to get more beta-carotene, vitamin C and fiber into your diet
- Peaches – they come in a range of colors from white to yellow and orange. Regardless of their color, you should be eating them. These stone fruits contain vitamins C, E, and K.
Color Me Happy
Cherries are red, some berries are blue and foods that are orange are good for you too!
Eating a diet rich in beta-carotene, vitamin C and other vitamins and minerals in place of most fatty foods, alcohol and coffee can go a long way toward helping you maintain a healthy weight, boost immunity and enjoy natural heartburn relief.